Use this button to donate in Pounds Sterling (£)

Use this button to donate in US dollars ($)

If you find the site useful, please consider a donation to help cover its running costs.
Thank you

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile View user locations Top Users Recent Messages

Advanced

Live from the Met

Posted by lifeonmarsfan 
Calendar Events for the Next Seven Days
Wed (11/26) Thu (11/27) Fri (11/28) Sat (11/29) Sun (11/30) Mon (12/01) Tue (12/02)
Empty
Live from the Met
February 12, 2012 05:09
Apologies if I have asked this question before, but is Live from the Met a program you have to catch live on the stream? (sounds like I'm making sushi, doesn't it?) I am asking because I can't find it on iPlayer, but I think I was able to get a link through Beebotron.
PAW
Re: Live from the Met
February 12, 2012 06:05
Yep. It's a broadcast of the US programme and the BBC only has the rights to stream it live.

If you go to [www.metoperafamily.org] there's options to hear and watch it.
February 12, 2012 18:31
Thanks Paul, that's what I thought. I know I had a previous disappointment with the Met broadcast. They used to broadcast these things on PBS (on Sundays lunchtime), but our PBS station dropped it. Imagine that, a world class symphony town and there is no public access to classical music locally? I guess it is the same way all over the country. I am just grateful I grew up at a time there was subsidy for culture education for elementary schools. I don't know if it had anything to do with being in Ohio, but when I was in grade school in Cincinnati, we'd have a number of symphony performances we attended as well as some dance and plays. I remember seeing Victor Borge more than a few times back then. During the summer, the symphony orchestra would perform free concerts in the various parks around the city so there was exposure to the music to everyone who could get to the parks. You could bring your picnic meals and enjoy the music under the stars. That was an amazing time.
February 13, 2012 23:23
I think you can also catch Met performances on PBS.org, Mars. Worth a try anyway.
February 17, 2012 04:42
I feel like Geordi on STNG. Something is downloading from the Live from the Met feed and I can't hear what it is until it finishes downloading. So if you guys don't hear from me again, you will know it was whatever streamed out of Radio 3.
February 17, 2012 10:39
I'll try to send someone atound to help. Who would you prefer; Deanna Troi, Beverley Crusher or Tasha Yar?

. Ivor

The original and real cat with the swishy tail.
Accept no imitations.
February 17, 2012 18:14
Yikes, Mars, some of those programs are three hours long!
February 17, 2012 18:27
Double yikes Jan, it's Wagner. All in all it's 6 hours in duration. So future reference, there is a listen again for Live from the Met, thanks to Beebotron. Thanks guys.

As for which of the three lovely ladies to send? Not sure, Bev is probably the most logical one to send, but she would probably need Data to assist with the technical stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2012 18:49 by lifeonmarsfan.
February 17, 2012 19:27
Triple yikes! Six-hours of Wagner! tongue sticking out smiley And I think I'd go with Data. May not be eye-candy but he'd get the job done.
PAW
February 23, 2012 06:54
Seeing a full performance of The Ring is an unusual event, you need to have the week off work so that you get a chance to sleep and eat between each of the operas.
February 23, 2012 19:26
They only do the entire Ring Cycle at Bayreuth (did I spell that right?) once every blue moon. The Passion Play at Oberammergau happens more often. I've heard this called a marathon session like no other. My dad was the Wagner fan, so I must have heard some this as a baby and a toddler. I am not a purist, and I liked how an attempt to popularize classical music was made by the record companies after the smashing success of the original Three Tenors concert. I don't think it stuck, but it is difficult to gauge these things now that we don't have brick and mortar music stores any more. I guess I could check out iTunes.

There's no such thing as music appreciation in school any more (can't afford it) and neither PBS nor any of the "education" cable stations don't do any music appreciation programs, i.e. what they do on BBC Four. I think I've learned more about music and the arts from BBC Four than I even learned from school. Some of the shows are unorthodox, but they are fun and not really too boring.
PAW
February 23, 2012 20:59
lifeonmarsfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They only do the entire Ring Cycle at Bayreuth
> (did I spell that right?) once every blue moon.

Every 5 years I think, though you can see it at least once a year elsewhere.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 9 on April 06, 2011
Record Number of Guests: 98 on December 05, 2012