Use this button to donate in Pounds Sterling (£)

Use this button to donate in US dollars ($)

If you find the site useful, please consider a donation to help cover its running costs.
Thank you

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile View user locations Top Users Recent Messages

Advanced

MP3 editor?

Posted by PAW 
Calendar Events for the Next Seven Days
Wed (11/26) Thu (11/27) Fri (11/28) Sat (11/29) Sun (11/30) Mon (12/01) Tue (12/02)
Empty
PAW
MP3 editor?
March 31, 2011 15:38
Anyone know of a good mp3 editor, which cuts the files at the frames?

The old standard Manns MP3 Edit no longer runs on my desktop and I don't really waqnt to keep an old machine just for one task.
Re: MP3 editor?
March 31, 2011 17:47
Methinks that's a question Rhys might have answered Pauleye rolling smiley

A commitment to Mod'nAdminlyness: I understand that r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e *i - s* f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starchy, nit pic, patronize, commit misandry, be economical with the facts or be a pedant, neither shall I whine. I shall endeavour to abstain from gratuitous point-scoring off the comments of other Mods or Administrators and also from engendering a culture of BLAME, remembering too to give the benefit of the doubt. Everything in my power will be done to achieve a modest post count & share my smileys, sources & avatars,
March 31, 2011 18:13
Anyone know of a good mp3 editor, which cuts the files at the frames?

Don't know what, "cuts the files at the frames", means, but I have edited mp3 files with Audacity, which may still be free.
March 31, 2011 19:00
I don't know exactly what it is either, but I use Total Recorder Pro, it has a bunch of bells and whistles on it. You might check it out and see if it has what you're looking for.
March 31, 2011 19:44
You may already have the tools if you have a disc copying program. I didn't know I had an audio editor until I looked through the cd/dvd copying program I have on my computer. I use Roxio which is pretty reliable.
March 31, 2011 21:33
Go here,

[www.nch.com.au]

for another interesting free audio editor.
March 31, 2011 21:35
Hey, Ironeyes, I was just lookin' at our avatars....and we're the eye people tongue sticking out smiley
March 31, 2011 21:43
Aye aye!

A commitment to Mod'nAdminlyness: I understand that r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e *i - s* f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starchy, nit pic, patronize, commit misandry, be economical with the facts or be a pedant, neither shall I whine. I shall endeavour to abstain from gratuitous point-scoring off the comments of other Mods or Administrators and also from engendering a culture of BLAME, remembering too to give the benefit of the doubt. Everything in my power will be done to achieve a modest post count & share my smileys, sources & avatars,
March 31, 2011 23:36
Yours are prettier than mine.
April 01, 2011 03:17
Isn't yours the God's Eye (or Helix) Nebula? That's pretty pretty smiling smiley
PAW
April 01, 2011 03:54
Software such as Audacity or WavePad doesn't actually edit mp3 files, instead they convert it to an uncompressed format, then recompress it afterwards. And this reduces the quality. Depending on what you're doing there's not a problem - I regularly use Audacity to edit audio for work, but I start with the uncompressed file and only when it's finished do I save it as mp3.

The editors that don't do any conversion are those that work directly on the mp3 file. Excluding the optional ID3 tags these files are made of a lot of frames, lots and lots of frames. First a header, 32 bits if I remember rightly, and then a variable length data block. So if you're going to edit it directly you cut it between two frames.

The vast majority of the audio editing software is the former; if you're working with audio you want to start with the best audio quality, and there's probably still licensing fees if you're writing anything dealing with mp3s.

But writing this has remembered me to see what Rogue Amoeba has got to offer - they make some decent audio software for OS X (& I've got my name in the credits of some), so there could be a decent utility there.
April 01, 2011 09:03
Jan,

It's the Ring Nebula (M57)

[apod.nasa.gov]
April 01, 2011 17:11
Yeah, I think that's the same one, Ironeyes. Regardless, it's purdyful smiling smiley

Did you look at the Total Recorder Pro, PAW? I was just wondering if mine did that or not.
Ed
April 05, 2011 05:58
The very BEST editor for mp3 files, one which cuts the actual mp3 file itself (without any conversion to or from an intermediate WAV file), is mp3DirectCut, a free program from Martin Pesch -

http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html

The program is very easy to use, as it shows you a visual display of the sound wave: hence you can see exactly where the sound changes, i.e. you can see where to put the edit points (usually in the silence between the BBC announcer's introduction and the start of the actual programme).

You have three non-destructive functions: cut, copy, and paste (non destructive because you can save the output in a new file, rather than overwriting your original source file).

The program deals with the mp3 frames for you: you'll never know they exist! It makes all cuts cleanly at the boundary between one frame and the next, and deals with all the processes of creating the new mp3 file containing your output. As always, make sure you edit ONLY at a point of silence, because you WILL get the usual audible mp3 squeals (audible glitches) on playback if you join two sounds instead of two silences - a defect of the mp3 format, NOT of this program.

The mp3DirectCut program only works on mp3 (or mp2) files. It can't edit WAV files, nor MP4 Audio files, nor WMA, nor FLV.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2011 06:11 by Ed.
PAW
April 05, 2011 06:13
That looks very familiar, I probably tried it a long time ago.

Ah, I remember why I didn't like it, I couldn't get on with the idea of there being a waveform displayed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2011 06:23 by PAW.
April 06, 2011 18:21
Ed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The very BEST editor for mp3 files, one which cuts
> the actual mp3 file itself (without any conversion
> to or from an intermediate WAV file), is
> mp3DirectCut, a free program from Martin Pesch -
>
> [mpesch3.de1.cc]
>
>

I second this. Brilliant program that I use all the time to re-edit my Mp3 downloads.
May 30, 2011 17:18
I need more help here PAW (or anybody else).

I want to mix mp3 files.

Do you know if MixPad from nch also converts mp3 files to an uncompressed format before mixing, and then converts back again?

If yes, what software, free or otherwise do you recommend for mixing mp3s?
PAW
May 30, 2011 17:55
Live mixing (for DJ-ing) or for mixing on track into the next?

I think the DJs I know who use iPods at their gigs do it the old fashioned way with faders, but I'll ask.
May 30, 2011 22:11
No PAW, not live mixing.

I want to take two or more mp3 tracks, mix them and then save the mix as one mp3 file.

Thanks in advance for your efforts.
PAW
May 31, 2011 06:07
Take a look at Mix Meister, I used it a long time ago becuase it could automatically find the beats in a track and merge them to get a nearly seamless mix.

There's also some utilities at PistonSoft for joining tracks together rather than merging them.
Ed
July 13, 2011 21:08
Ironeyes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I want to take two or more mp3 tracks, mix them
> and then save the mix as one mp3 file.

In mp3 format, you can only do this - join two seperate files or parts of two files - if both files have the SAME sampling rate [e.g. 44,100 hz] and the SAME bitrate [e.g. 128 Kbps].

Use the program I recommended above, mp3DirectCut, which will allow you to copy a section from one mp3 file - or that entire file - into a different mp3 file. But the mp3 section being added MUST have the same sampling rate and bitrate as the mp3 file you're inserting it into. It's a simple copy and paste operation.

mp3DirectCut: http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html
July 13, 2011 22:03
Ed,

Thanks for getting back.

I have used mp3DirectCut and it will certainly do what you say.

However what I want to do is MIX two tracks, not copy part or the whole of one track and insert it into another.
July 13, 2011 23:09
I recently tried a $30 program called Easy CD and DVD Burning. You can splice and join together audio files with no problems. Not sure if there is an online version but you can pick up a program disc at any Office Max or Office Depot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2011 23:11 by lifeonmarsfan.
January 31, 2012 19:51
Just loaded the newest Real Player (free edition) and it had a converter and a trimmer. Not too difficult to use either. So if anyone is still looking for an mp3 trimmer, Real might be the way to go. You can record some stuff with it too. Not sure if they have a Mac version though, being a Windows person myself.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 9 on April 06, 2011
Record Number of Guests: 98 on December 05, 2012