Use this button to donate in Pounds Sterling (£)

Use this button to donate in US dollars ($)

If you find the site useful, please consider a donation to help cover its running costs.
Thank you

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile View user locations Top Users Recent Messages

Advanced

A selection of readings from 25th Apr 2011 to 1st May 2011

Posted by Becki 
Calendar Events for the Next Seven Days
Thu (07/24) Fri (07/25) Sat (07/26) Sun (07/27) Mon (07/28) Tue (07/29) Wed (07/30)
Shadows in Bronze - 1
10:00AM The Workin's of Perkins
12:30AM The Masterson Inheritance - b06
Shadows in Bronze - 2
12:00AM The Maltby Collection - a01
08:00AM Ayres on the Air - b06
09:00AM The Eric Morecambe and Ernie Wise Show - b02

02:30PM Cards on the Table
09:30AM The Navy Lark - j16
09:00AM The Goon Show - h02
09:00AM The Burkiss Way - c02
09:00AM Dad's Army - c25
07:30PM The News Quiz - m08

11:00PM Another Case of Milton Jones - b2
02:30PM The Vernons Girls
06:00PM Huddwinks - a03

06:00PM King Street Junior Revisited - b02
07:30PM Fry's English Delight - 2

06:00PM Second Thoughts - b04

07:30PM I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue - 61 - 5

Empty
A selection of readings from 25th Apr 2011 to 1st May 2011
April 25, 2011 06:16
Love Stories Here
These are all over the schedule, doesn't seems to be any logic to them so i'm just stickin' all times in even next weeks but with dates for those.

Maeve Binchy - Love in the Afternoon read by Adjoa Andoh
Mon 14:15
'My mother always told me life is a matter of luck.'

Josephine Cox - The Lion's Den read by Robert Glenister
Mon 02:00, Tue 10:15 and Wed 02:15
A young man assumes he'll never find his heart's desire.

Katie Fforde - A Fortnight In Tuscany read by Candida Benson
Mon 02:45 and Wed 14:15
A control freak is forced to attend a Tuscan cookery course.

Alan Titchmarsh - The Lark read by Joanna Tope
Fri 14:15, Sun 07:15 and 13:15, Mon 2 14:15
'My mother always told me life is a matter of luck.'

Freya North - Fish And Chips read by Melody Grove
Sun 11:00 and 19:00, Mon 2 02:00, Tue 3 10:15 and Wed 4 02:15
An inheritance by the sea broadens a young woman's horizons.

Biggles Flies North - Captain W E Johns read by Michael Palin Here
Episodes 6-8 of 8
Mon to Wed at 15:45 repeats at 05:45 following morning.
Classic boys adventure story. When Major J. Bigglesworth receives a letter from an old wartime comrade asking for help, he responds at once. With his colleagues, Algy, Ginger and Flight Sergeant Smyth, Biggles flies to Alaska, where he discovers that ex-Squadron Leader Wilkinson is being menaced by a sinister character.

Fantastic Tales - A series of stories about magic, horror and fantasy

Ryunosuke Akutagawa - Hell Screen read by Togo Igawa. Part 1 and Part 2
Part 1 Mon 6:30, Tue 00:30 and part 2 Tue 6:30, Wed 00:30
The artist Yoshihide, considered the greatest painter in the land, is commissioned to create a screen depicting the Buddhist hell for the Lord of Horikawa. He proceeds to inflict tortures upon his apprentices, for he cannot effectively paint anything he has not seen. He asks the lord to burn a beautiful lady in a carriage so he can finish the screen leading to a horror and tragedy.

Zoran Zivkovic - Alarm Clock on the Night Table read by Anna Massey here
Wed 6:30, Thu 00:30
When an elderly lady's precious alarm clock is suddenly broken this leads chain of events forces her to confront a tragedy from her past.

Arthur Machen - The White People read by Ioan Meredith and Louise Collins here
Thu 6:30, Fri 00:30
A discussion between two men on the nature of evil leads one of them to reveal a mysterious Green Book he possesses. It is a young girl's diary, in which she describes her strange impressions of the countryside in which she lives, as well as conversations with her nurse, who initiates her into a secret world of folklore and ritual magic.

Vandana Singh - Delhi read by Ioan Meredith and Louise Collins here
Fri 6:30, Sat 00:30
A man living in present-day Delhi is haunted by visions of the city's past and future.

Acting Strangely - Martin Jarvis read by Martin Jarvis here
Mon to Fri at 14:30
One of Britain's most versatile and distinguished actors, Martin Jarvis, reads his autobiography in which he reveals some of the more bizarre things that have happened to him in his varied life as an actor. He assumes many different guises and voices of great performers and directors he encountered throughout his acting career.

The Supreme Artist - Daphne Du Maurier read by read by Michael Drew Here
Fri 14:15
A widow's life is transformed by an unexpected love affair.
This is next weeks. 6 & 8 May.

The Drowned World by JG Ballard read by Robert Glenister Here

Episode 1
Sat 1830 and Sun 00:30

The author's 1962 debut novel. Set in a submerged London of the future, in a post-apocalyptic world. Transformed by global warming which has caused the polar ice-caps to melt.
The books wiki page

The Devil in Amber written and read by Mark Gatiss (the Man in Black) Here

Episode 5
Sat 1800 and Sun 00:00

This is Mark Gatiss' second Lucifer Box novel.
Lucifer Box - the gorgeous butterfly of King Bertie's reign, portraitist, dandy and terribly good secret agent - is feeling his age. Assigned to observe the activities of fascist leader Olympus Mons and his fanatical Amber Shirts in a snow-bound 1920s New York, Box finds himself framed for a vicious murder. Using all his native cunning, Box escapes aboard a vessel bound for England armed only with a Broadway midget's suitcase and a string of unanswered questions. What lies hidden in the bleak Norfolk convent of St Bede? What is 'the lamb' that Olympus Mons searches for in his bid for world domination? And what has all this to do with a medieval prayer intended to summon the Devil himself? From the glittering sophistication of Art Deco Manhattan to the eerie Norfolk coast and the snow-capped peaks of Switzerland The Devil in Amber takes us on a thrilling ride that pits Lucifer Box against the most lethal adversary of his career : the Prince of Darkness himself.

Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell and read by David Warner Here

Episode 9 Sat 23:30
Episode 10 Sat 23:45

One frozen January morning at 5am, Inspector Wallander responds to what he believes is a routine call out. When he reaches the isolated farmhouse he discovers a bloodbath. An old man has been tortured and beaten to death, his wife lies barely alive beside his shattered body, both victims of a violence beyond reason.
Wallander's life is a shambles. His wife has left him, his daughter refuses to speak to him, and even his ageing father barely tolerates him. He works tirelessly, eats badly, and drinks his nights away in a lonely, neglected flat. But now Wallander must forget his troubles and throw himself into a battle against time.

The Nine Billion Names of God and other stories by Arthur C Clarke read by John Shrapnel Here

Episode 5 - The Sentinel (the last episode)
Sun 18:45 and Mon 00:45

The story from which Arthur C Clarke developed the film '2001: A Space Odyssey' with Stanley Kubrick.

David Attenborough's Life Stories series 2 read by Attenborough Here

Episode 11/20 - Monsters
Fri 20:50 and Sun 08:50

Fire breathing dragons are clearly something from legend, but what about a monster that lives in an ancient deep lake? In this edition of David Attenborough's Life Stories, Sir David reflects on a time when pre-eminent conservationist and naturalist Peter Scott was immersed in acquiring evidence of the existence of the Loch Ness Monster. No such giant creature has ever been found or concrete evidence it ever existed, but this is an intriguing tale of discovery. David Attenborough moves his story on to beyond the highlands of Scotland and into the Himalayas - and it's here that Sir David reveals something very surprising.

As usual please do mention any readings that you think i should have included as i'm sure i've missed something good.

Coffee time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2011 03:01 by Becki.
Re: A selection of readings from 25th Apr 2011 to 1st May 2011
April 26, 2011 13:54
Thanks Becki - an excellent list.

I just wanted to add this week's Book at Bedtime - The Absolutist by John Boyne read by Blake Ritson. It started on Easter Monday and there are ten episodes.

I have just listened to the first part and it's very promising.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

September 1919: 20 year-old Tristan Sadler takes a train from London to Norwich to deliver some letters to Marian Bancroft. Tristan fought alongside Marian's brother Will during the Great War but in 1917, Will laid down his guns on the battlefield, declared himself a conscientious objector, an act which has brought shame and dishonour on the Bancroft family.
But the letters are not the real reason for Tristan's visit. He holds a secret deep in his soul. One that he is desperate to unburden himself of to Marian, if he can only find the courage. As he recalls his friendship with Will, from the training ground at Aldershot to the trenches of Northern France, he speaks of how the intensity of their friendship brought him both happiness and self-discovery as well as despair and pain.
From the author that brought us The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas and The House of Special Purpose - John Boyne creates a story that examines the events of the Great War from the perspective of two young soldiers; whose friendship encounters an extraordinary challenge.

The reader is Blake Ritson.

The Absolutist was abridged by Doreen Estall and produced by Heather Larmour.
April 28, 2011 00:46
Thanks Cats, it does sound interesting, i'll have a listen later.

Another one i missed, though it could be said that it was Radio 4x that missed it not me. They fixed it already and thanked me for letting them know. They've certainly got much better at reading comments and quicker at fixing schedule errors.

Ruth Rendell Stories - A Dark Blue Perfume read by John Rowe Here

Sat 23:15

1996 mystery about a retired businessman who tries to track down the wife who left him many years before.

This is the first of 5 readings, hopefully the others will be properly scheduled so i can list them properly in future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2011 14:02 by Becki.
April 30, 2011 12:04
Vandana Singh - Delhi

This was new to me and I thought it was excellent.

I have heard some of these before including Alarm Clock on the Night Table and the Ruth Rendell ones but there are others that are new to me. Perhaps 4x is commissioning new readings, which would be good.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 9 on April 06, 2011
Record Number of Guests: 98 on December 05, 2012