Use this button to donate in Pounds Sterling (£)

Use this button to donate in US dollars ($)

If you find the site useful, please consider a donation to help cover its running costs.
Thank you

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile View user locations Top Users Recent Messages

Advanced

Blog, Blog, Blog....

Posted by Janaru 
Calendar Events for the Next Seven Days
Sat (10/25) Sun (10/26) Mon (10/26) Tue (10/27) Wed (10/28) Thu (10/29) Fri (10/30)
10:00AM I Did It My Way - Andy Hamilton
08:30AM Stop Messing About! - a10
The Blackburn Files - a1
02:15PM Dickens Confidential - b05
09:30AM The Eagle of the Ninth - 2
08:30AM The Navy Lark - a11
08:00AM The Goon Show - h19
07:00AM Change at Oglethorpe - a02
Newsjack - k06
08:00AM Jim the Great - 5

09:30AM Another Case of Milton Jones - c4

08:00AM The Burkiss Way - d01
08:00AM It Sticks Out Half a Mile - 2
09:00AM Jest a Minute - a03

05:00PM Second Thoughts - c03

08:30AM I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again - c01
06:30PM John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme - d3
12:00PM The Missing Hancocks: Director's Commentary

05:00PM King Street Junior Revisited

06:30PM The News Quiz - n02
Empty
Re: Blog, Blog, Blog....
June 11, 2011 14:43
Janaru Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> World IPv6 Day: 8th June 2011

Why am I sniggering and thinking "no chance" when I read this

"Under the hood, we still have a lot of work to do at the BBC to make BBC Online fully IPv6 capable.

To make the site available over IPv6 to the extent that we have, we've added a separate (much smaller) network that is both IPv6 and IPv4 enabled, and connected it to the site through a pair of load balancers that we normally use for testing purposes. The host name ipv6.bbc.co.uk only has an IPv6 address registered on it, and this is the IPv6 address of the load balancers.

[ ].

We'll be upgrading the site to be fully IPv6 enabled as part of our normal technology refresh programme, and we expect that will be complete sometime next year."
June 11, 2011 15:39
Conion asks,

"Why am I sniggering and thinking "no chance" when I read this"

H'mm..........................................let me have a guess.

Is it because you are a hypercritical, know-it-all, cynic with a superiority complex?

I might be wrong but that's how you come across in most of your posts.

No offence intended............of course.
June 11, 2011 15:50
Cynical and know-it-all?- of course. Experience, wisdom and education.

What's your excuse for evil-minded bitching?
June 11, 2011 16:09
What's your excuse for evil-minded bitching?

Now these words could cause offence, couldn't they?

If I needed an excuse, it could be that I wanted to join your "club", or would you prefer to be the sole member?
June 14, 2011 15:28
BBC Radio Blog Post

John Myers' review of the BBC's popular music stations

Here's the first paragraph of the post to get the idea of what it's regarding, if you're interested.....

Today we are making public a report which looks at potential synergies and savings within Radio 1, Radio 2, 6 Music and 1Xtra.

Last year, I asked John Myers - CEO of the Radio Academy and one of the most respected figures in the radio industry - to review how our popular music stations are run and how they work together. The key challenge was to identify possible ways of sensibly reducing costs while protecting the quality of our programmes.
PAW
June 14, 2011 15:53
I think most of that blog post could have been written as "...blah blah blah..." without any loss of content - they've got a report and they're looking at it.
June 15, 2011 23:53
Here's two from the BBC Research and Development Blog....

Digital Media Mass Storage Testing

Helping you remember programmes
June 16, 2011 05:22
Janaru Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's two from the BBC Research and Development
> Blog....
>
> Digital Media Mass Storage Testing
>
> Helping you remember programmes

re: Remembering programmes, I'm with the guy who uses the backs of envelopes, only I use the Post it notes program in Windows 7.
June 16, 2011 07:00
That's part of the reason why I started posting upcoming program information, to help me remember! blushing smiley 2

Although everything I put up isn't necessarily something I'd listen to myself. Sometimes I find things I either know, or think, other folks might like. Then there are the off-the-wall programs that might be interesting. Sometimes I post something different just have some variety.

I use the Opera browser which has a "Notes" feature in it. Most days I go to the R4, R4x, R2 and R6 schedule pages (through Opera's Speed Dial, which is awesome, btw) and check out the listings for that particular day of the upcoming week. If I find anything interesting, I open the program webpage and read the description.

If I decide I want to post it, I highlight the text and hit "Copy to Note" from the right click list and it saves it right in the notes. When I'm done checking out all of the schedules, then I go to the forum and drag the item from the notes into the post field and edit. Easy peasy. The Opera browser really does most of the work.

(For all of you who've always had the burning desire to know, but were afraid to ask.....that's how Janaru does it! )

tongue sticking out smiley

That being said, I actually set up my queue every day by going to the Beebotrons What Was On page. And go to the stations mentioned above (those usually have drama's or documentaries I want to listen to) and put the links in my playlist.

So....really....Opera and Beebotron do most of the work! smiling smiley
June 17, 2011 02:01
The trouble is I cannot resist to look at the future features on the BBC Press Office page, that's one of the reasons I can't depend on Beebotron alone. So looking into the future forces me to use post it notes all over my Windows surface. I have the same system for shows to record on PBS
June 17, 2011 02:30
Yeah, the Copy to Note feature would work for you then, Mars. It's invaluable to me. That, the Speed Dial and mouse gestures alone make me love my Opera browser. Not to mention a whole slew of others.
June 17, 2011 03:31
Thanks Jan, will give it a try.
June 17, 2011 15:19
I really hadn't meant it as a "sales pitch", but now that we've been talking about it, it might actually be helpful with your dial-up. It has a Turbo feature that detects a slow connection and helps speed it up.

Anyhoo, nuff a that. tongue sticking out smiley
June 17, 2011 16:05
June 17, 2011 19:18
June 22, 2011 07:37
July 01, 2011 00:48
July 09, 2011 17:40
July 13, 2011 18:26
July 13, 2011 21:07
Quote from the above.

Readings will diminish but we will add some on to Radio 4Extra......

But I doubt somehow that they will be new ones.

Oh dear, oh dear.....................hot smiley

I'm NOT paranoid......thats just what THEY want you to think!!!
July 14, 2011 14:44
Well, I don't know. I thought I'd heard that R4x was going to do more original readings anyway. It may be that R4 is glomming onto what R4x were going to do anyway and put a new spin on it. Which would mean there are going to be new readings, but perhaps not as many as it would seem.

We'll see....
July 14, 2011 20:25
Books at Beachtime is an attempt to expand readings, so there is an effort to do new readings on 4xtra.

I can't imagine there is a shortage of material or people wanting to do readings in these times. I am sure there are less work opportunities for actors and the readings are great ways to keep their names out there.
July 21, 2011 21:36
July 24, 2011 17:14
August 03, 2011 09:47
In Production

SoloParentPals.com

The third series of Sue Teddern's SOLPPARENTPALS.COM sees the romance of single parents Rosie (Liz White) in Bolton and Tom (Kris Marshall) in Exeter stumble, recover and finally reach climactic cohabitation. Along the way there are secrets withheld, propositions made, pianos moved, salmon pink neckties worn, and much driving up and down the country. All subject to the eager observations of the SPP.com chat-room crew -Tony Macaroni, Tash the Lash, Gilly Bean and Birmingham Barb.

The Lighthouse

Things will get dark and stormy at London's Broadcasting House as recording begins on The Lighthouse - a spooky two-hander set on a desolate rock off the Pembrokeshire coast. The play's based on the true story of two lighthouse keepers, who in 1801 became stranded at their post. Because of what happened to them, lighthouses would never again have only a crew of two...
August 03, 2011 09:49
From the Radio 4 Newsletter...

Ancient Worlds - Listen to a selection of programmes about ancient civilizations
August 03, 2011 09:55
August 04, 2011 22:49
From the Radio 4 and 4 Extra blog....

Record listening figures for Radio 4: RAJARs Q2 2011
August 04, 2011 23:01
August 07, 2011 09:46
In Production

Our Country's Good and The Recruiting Officer

'Our Country's Good' by Timberlake Wertenbaker tells of a group of convicts and marines sent to Australia to form part of the first penal colony. It follows the attempts of a young lieutenant to mount a production of George Farquhar's 'The Recruiting Officer'. As the convicts begin to work together the production brings changes to all their behaviours.

Farquhar's restoration comedy deals with the exploits of a Captain and his comrades in Shrewsbury as they attempt to seduce soldiers into the army and recruit women to marriage.

A company of actors including Lisa Dillon, Kate Fleetwood, Paul Higgins and Nick Le Prevost are in studio over the next two weeks to produce versions of these plays that will be going out on Radio 4 and Radio 3 over one weekend this December.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 9 on April 06, 2011
Record Number of Guests: 98 on December 05, 2012