Use this button to donate in Pounds Sterling (£)

Use this button to donate in US dollars ($)

If you find the site useful, please consider a donation to help cover its running costs.
Thank you

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile View user locations Top Users Recent Messages

Advanced

"program not available at this time"

Posted by gentledove 
Calendar Events for the Next Seven Days
Fri (07/11) Sat (07/12) Sun (07/13) Mon (07/14) Tue (07/15) Wed (07/16) Thu (07/17)
Julie Enfield Investigates: The Smithfield Murders
10:00AM Not the World Cup in Brazil
12:30AM The Masterson Inheritance - b04
09:30AM The Navy Lark - o08
09:00AM The Goon Show - g25
12:00AM Bleak Expectations - c05
08:00AM Ayres on the Air - b05
07:30PM The News Quiz - m06

09:00AM Beyond Our Ken - 016
06:00PM Second Thoughts - b02
06:00PM Huddwinks - a01
12:30PM A Charles Paris Mystery: Corporate Bodies - 4
09:00AM Dad's Army - c24

02:30PM Three Men in a Boat
07:30PM I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue - 61-3

06:00PM King Street Junior Revisited - b01
Empty
"program not available at this time"
July 21, 2010 00:34
Over the last week, whenever I click on any of the BBC links (you know, "play again"winking smiley, I get an error messages that says the program is not available at this time. Does anyone know WHY this is happening and is it happening to anyone else? And how do I resolve it or work around it? Many thanks.

Sarah (gentledove)
Re: "program not available at this time"
July 21, 2010 06:04
gentledove
Over the last week, whenever I click on any of the BBC links (you know, "play again"winking smiley, I get an error messages that says the program is not available at this time.

I assume you're talking about the iPlayer. It's been happening to me here in Canada since yesterday (July 20). Radio 4 works for me, but Radio 3 Listen Live gives me "BBC Radio 3 is unavailable at this time." Seems there is mention of it at the Beeb radio help blogs from others outside the UK. Not much in the way of an answer yet. It has happened to me before, though not this long a period. It's been all afternoon and into the night.
Re: "program not available at this time"...reply
July 21, 2010 06:17
I have had it happen now for three plus days on BBC 3, 4, and 7. Some programs play in the iplayer but most don't. And then I remembered the Beebodge which is saving my bacon. You can find it here if you aren't aware of it. [beebotron.org]

What I am doing is making a list of the stations and dates/times of the programs I want to watch and then I am entering them one by one in the Beebodge. It is slow and it is a royal pain-in-the-butt...but it works. I am so grateful for the people here for setting up the Beebodge...it truly is the place of last resort.

Sarah (gentledove)

P.S. I am so glad that the Beeb got rid of realplayer as it hasn't worked for me since last September. The wma files are coming up just fine in the Beebodge.
Re: "program not available at this time"...reply
July 21, 2010 08:17
Just tried 4 programmes at random- R 1. 4 and 7. Getting same message. 10.15 am Eastern European time. 8.15 in theUK. It was Ok at Midnight EUT last night. What the ************************************** doh smiley are they playing at now?

Going over to Beebodg , back later. Penny
Re: "program not available at this time"...reply...reply
July 21, 2010 08:28
I am sorry it is happening to you too but I am glad I am not the only victim. And what is making it worse is that now is the Proms and I hate to miss that. Thank God and the beebotron folks for the beebodge or we would all be screwed. ***start of rant**** Honestly, I would love to witch-slap with a b those folks over at BBC. With their bloated salaries, they can't even keep the "listen again" links working. I wish we could sack the lot of them. *****rant over*****

Or maybe it is a case of the BBC not being able to tolerate something that works...and that they have to pee in it (mess with it) until it is so useless that no one wants to use it...and then they can cut the service. It wouldn't be that, would it? smug b... 1

Sarah (gentledove)

Lady Penelope Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just tried 4 programmes at random- R 1. 4 and 7.
> Getting same message. 10.15 am Eastern European
> time. 8.15 in theUK. It was Ok at Midnight EUT
> last night. What the
> ************************************** doh smiley are
> they playing at now?
>
> Going over to Beebodg , back later. Penny
July 21, 2010 09:38
Welcome to my world, ladies sad smiley I've been dealing with this off and on since February. One good thing about that is I might be able to direct you to some easier work arounds and where to post your problem. Hopefully it is one of th known problems that can be fixed quickly (unlike mine).

First of all, the Beeb have said that they have been having "node" problems with their overseas partners. This problem has been fixed for people in the past by filling out a complaint form (I'll put the links for all this at the end of this post) with the requested information as well as the server (I'll post how to do this as well).

You can also solve a lot of your Beebobodge-ness by going to What Was On page on Beebotron. This only works for stations that use a formula link (R4, R7, etc....) some stations you'll just have to Bodge. I've been using this page for quite awhile and it saves quite a lot of hassle.

Ok, now down to the actual info...

1. Find out the server name by going here: Edge Server Ident
2. Fill out complaint form here: Contact Form
(NOTE: The complaint form has a space for an explanation of your problem. This is restricted to only a few hundred characters, so be as succinct as possible or it will kick it back. They do say they monitor these complaints 24/7.)
3. What Was On page can be accessed here: What Was On (This can also be accessed through the regular Beebotron page)

You can find the complete thread regarding this problem HERE. But I warn you, it's about 279 posts long, as of today. It is interesting though.

Well, I hope that helps some. Good luck! smiling smiley
July 21, 2010 14:28
It happened here with Mark Tully's Something understood featuring De Berniers (can't spell that, sorry!). So I just did a clear cache in my Firefox browser, then hit the play request again and Presto! It worked fine. I guess much of the cause is excessive demand on paltry resources.

smileys with beer

editing above comment:
Proves how little I've tuned in of late. Just want to WITHDRAW the Presto and just fine exclamations. Have been trying to catch up with stuff missed over the past 7 days and AT LEAST 50% of material is unavailable. An absolute drag.

A commitment to Mod'nAdminlyness: I understand that r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e *i - s* f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starchy, nit pic, patronize, commit misandry, be economical with the facts or be a pedant, neither shall I whine. I shall endeavour to abstain from gratuitous point-scoring off the comments of other Mods or Administrators and also from engendering a culture of BLAME, remembering too to give the benefit of the doubt. Everything in my power will be done to achieve a modest post count & share my smileys, sources & avatars,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2010 18:00 by Truthyness.
July 21, 2010 15:29
As you all know, I do most of my listening 'live'. On the rare occasions that I have used Radio 7's Schedule and Program lists and these take me to iPlayer. When I have used Beebortron 3 Lite and VLC, I've had no problems.

Of those of us on this Phorum, I'm the only one currently resident in the UK. Could this be part of the problem?

. Ivor

The original and real cat with the swishy tail.
Accept no imitations.
July 21, 2010 18:45
IvorThirst Wrote:
> As you all know, I do most of my listening 'live'.
> On the rare occasions that I have used Radio 7's
> Schedule and Program lists and these take me to
> iPlayer. When I have used Beebortron 3 Lite and
> VLC, I've had no problems.

I tried Beebortron Lite and had the same problems
>
> Of those of us on this Phorum, I'm the only one
> currently resident in the UK. Could this be part
> of the problem?

I am sure it is, Ivor. See Jan's post. I am just grateful to everyone else for posting as otherwise I would have suspected it was the usual prejudice against my neck of the woods and/or my ISP and/or I had done something stupid again.

The Contact form jumped back at me and said "run out of time" - so perhaps others are having the same problem. I ran out of time too, and have only just got back to the PC(8.40 pm here). Has anyone else seen anything on any of the BBC Boards

And Gentle Dove, thanks for the rant, I totally agree and you saved me doing it.
angry smileysad smiley
July 21, 2010 19:08
OK, if all else fails, first read.....................

There are a couple of threads on R7 Board - even the Host is experimenting trying to access programmes.

At least it estabishes its a listen again problem, not an overseas one (except of course that overseas listeners are more likely to use listen again because of time differences).

I am glad to note that I am not paranoic - others are beginning to suspect that that the Beeb is using "technical failures" to manipulate audience listening. 1984 again! or still?

Can I go and have dinner now, whilst listening the a nice CDdoh smiley
July 21, 2010 19:09
For what it's worth from Montreal, Canada - Radio 3 Live on iPlayer is working fine now. I also tried Late Junction on play again (R3 as well) and that's working fine now too. Maybe some of the complaints were heard.
July 21, 2010 21:13
Penny
Can I go and have dinner now, whilst listening to a nice CD

Depends what the CD is ... and, perhaps more importantly, what the dinner is ...

In any event, some of the problems may go away in the near future. The Beebotron will be migrating to a new server shortly, and I'll keep you informed about what's happening.

Right now Guru Rick has suggested a way forward which I'm thinking about... Cogito ergo sum, as in I have cogs, and therefore I can add up...

From your point of view you shouldn't notice anything other than an increased speed when you hit a Beebotron page.

Perhaps.

Cheers, K
July 21, 2010 23:17
From what I can tell it's all over today, inside and outside the UK, which usually means Auntie is changing something. It's not just the Top Gear effect or bad nodes this time. It's been better the last couple of hours, so perhaps it will straighten out completely soon. Lots of unhappy campers today.

Sounds good, K smiling smiley
July 21, 2010 23:45
maggie Wrote:
-----------------------------------------
> Maybe some of the
> complaints were heard.

If only Maggie! eye rolling smiley

Jan wrote:
-----------------------------------------
> Lots of unhappy campers today.

You bet gurl! Sigh! Glad to read reassurance that it's not always that bad.

Lady P wrote:
----------------------------------------
> 1984 again! or still?

I generally readily espouse the conspiracy theorists' drift ... but do you really think they are that underhand Penny?

Kronalias wrote :
---------------------------------------
> you shouldn't notice anything other than an increased speed when you hit a Beebotron page.

K to the rescue as usual: thumbs up

A commitment to Mod'nAdminlyness: I understand that r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e *i - s* f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starchy, nit pic, patronize, commit misandry, be economical with the facts or be a pedant, neither shall I whine. I shall endeavour to abstain from gratuitous point-scoring off the comments of other Mods or Administrators and also from engendering a culture of BLAME, remembering too to give the benefit of the doubt. Everything in my power will be done to achieve a modest post count & share my smileys, sources & avatars,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2010 23:58 by Truthyness.
Re: "program not available at this time"...reply...reply to K
July 21, 2010 23:54
This isn't a beebotron problem. I was on the BBC webpages, clicking directly on THEIR bleep bleep links and they were not *****censored***** working. Unfortunately, what I would like to do to the BBC will have to remained censored or the moderators will be upon me. For me, the Beebodge is the best option...for now....but it is a pain in the butt having to do that for all the programs.

What I am truly afraid of is that they are going to get rid of all the "listen again" pages to save money and just go with "live" as it would be cheaper. So I am trying to get caught up completely so I can start to "listen" life...just in case. I am afraid I do NOT trust the BBC...and it is not totally beyond them to totally screw over us listeners so they can keep their bloated salaries and their fancy expense accounts.

Kronalias Wrote:
[snipped]
>
> In any event, some of the problems may go away in
> the near future. The Beebotron will be migrating
> to a new server shortly, and I'll keep you
> informed about what's happening.
[snipped]
July 22, 2010 16:07
>
> Lady P wrote:
> ----------------------------------------
> > 1984 again! or still?
>
> I generally readily espouse the conspiracy
> theorists' drift ... but do you really think they
> are that underhand Penny

YES
July 22, 2010 22:05
This is what I've been dealing with, off and on, since February, so I'm used to it, I guess. I tend to record like mad during good connections, and save them for bad ones.

Sarah, you should try the What Was On page and use those links. They are actually Beebobodge links that are already made by the Beebotron. These can be searched by day and station. Some stations won't work, but the R7 and R4 stations will. Give it a try.
July 22, 2010 23:48
Owch!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 9 on April 06, 2011
Record Number of Guests: 98 on December 05, 2012