Use this button to donate in Pounds Sterling (£)

Use this button to donate in US dollars ($)

If you find the site useful, please consider a donation to help cover its running costs.
Thank you

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile View user locations Top Users Recent Messages

Advanced

A request...

Posted by Janaru 
Calendar Events for the Next Seven Days
Fri (10/31) Sat (11/01) Sun (11/02) Mon (11/03) Tue (11/04) Wed (11/05) Thu (11/06)
The Blackburn Files - a1
09:00AM Steve Punt's Hancock Cuttings
08:30AM Stop Messing About! - a11
08:30AM The Navy Lark - a12
Sidney Chambers and the Shadow of Death
08:00AM Jim the Great - 5
06:00PM Space Force - b1
09:30AM The Eagle of the Ninth - 3
09:30AM The Castle - d01
08:00AM The Goon Show - h20
I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again - c02
08:00AM It Sticks Out Half a Mile - 3
09:00AM Jest a Minute - a03

05:00PM Second Thoughts - c04

07:00AM Change at Oglethorpe - a03
06:30PM John Finnemore's Souvenir Programm - d4
12:00PM The Missing Hancocks: Director's Commentary

08:00AM The Burkiss Way - d02

05:00PM King Street Junior Revisited - c05

06:30PM The News Quiz - n02

Empty
A request...
December 19, 2010 12:58
Received an e-mail from Mark at Big Audio Drama with a request. Thought I'd pass it on for anyone who's interested...

Hello from B.A.D, Those in the U.K may be aware of Paul Battley's IPDL device and the ongoing battle he has had with the BBC. It also affects the way I download and provide content for the blog. (Basically it allows me to download BBC content 80% faster) For the uninitiated, allow me to explain. (BBC = Licence payer - Paul Battley = Developer of IPDL) The BBC produces content that is available to U.K licence payers. (T.V or Radio and to produce this charge an annual fee.) The licence payer (usually) has 7 days in which to watch or listen to content that they have paid for. Alternatively: The licence payer can download the content onto an iPlayer or computer and keep the files for 30 days before it self-destructs. There is a lot of anger towards the BBC for their iPlayer application. It is based on the Apple iPlayer and they have used license payers money to develop an Apple iPlayer compatible downloader, thus restricting access to those that have an Apple device. Those that are not prepared to sit down regularly to watch or listen to BBC material are penalised. That would include for example busy mothers, those that work irregular hours or those that don't own Apple devices. In fact the only people who are able to enjoy full BBC content are those that choose to stay at home all day and do nothing but watch T.V and listen to the radio. Most people want to view or listen to content whenever and wherever they want. People today don't sit down in front of the radio to listen to a 15 minute daily episode of a 'Book at Bedtime'. People want to enjoy a full 2 hour Start-To-End-Drama-Binge while walking the dog, up a mountain, under the bonnet (hood) of a car or even snuggled up in bed with the lights out. Paul Battley devised a tool that could mimic and download the audio and video that was produced by the BBC. By simply copying and pasting the address into his device it would download the content. This tool is/was priceless to me and other collectors. It pretty much revolutionised downloading for the ordinary/non geek person and enabled me to collect a week's BBC radio drama content within an hour. If it wasn't for this device my blog would be half the size it is now. For over 3 years the BBC have tweaked their iplayer version while Paul has played catch up with his user friendly version. (Remember, the BBC is funded by the license payer. Paul is developing this tool for no monetary gain. In fact if you donate funds, it will go to a charity) On the 10th of December the BBC had (bought) developed their iplayer software to such an extent that Paul was unable to offer a direct fix. On his webpage, Paul Battley announced: (here: [po-ru.com] for Paul's Sitel)

From Paul:
BBC FIGHT AGAINST OPENNESS AGAIN
The BBC believes that you should only use its online services through the proprietary software of one of its preferred technology companies. As a result of this, you can no longer use iplayer-dl/iPlayer Downloader. The BBC has recently changed the iPhone iPlayer to use an HTTPS connection for part of the process. This requires the client to offer an Apple-signed client certificate as part of the connection. This has always been the case for the iPad version, but the iPhone change is new. This means that a client device that does not have an Apple certificate can no longer connect to the BBC servers. This includes my downloader. I have a few options: Extract the client key from an iPhone or iPod Touch. Rewrite the downloader to use RTMPE instead of HTTP. Give up. If anyone can explain how to extract the client certificate from an iOS device, I’ll be very grateful. I shan’t be making any upgrades in the immediate future. In the meantime, however, if you’re looking for an alternative, you could look at get_iplayer. The reason the BBC gives for restricting access to non-blessed clients is piracy concerns. I would therefore like to appeal to irony by suggesting that both BitTorrent and Usenet are excellent ways to get hold of BBC TV programmes. I encourage you to check them out.

Paul's last message gave 3 options. I don't fully understand option 1 or 2 but option 3 is no option. I don't want to see him give up. All of the comments on his website have been made by U.K residents asking him to continue to develop his IPDL device. So far there has been no response from Paul. Could you... I know it is an imposition but could you possibly lend a voice here: [po-ru.com] and express how his IPDL downloader/device has benefited your day to day life. Perhaps let him know where in the world you are. (If you want to mention the blog, feel free). Your support may persuade him to continue his efforts. In the meantime, I will use another (inferior) application so it shouldn't affect the blog too much other than it taking longer to gather content.

All the best,
Mark
Re: A request...
December 21, 2010 02:21
Not new news perhaps but the comments here are relevant - [www.bbc.co.uk]
Re: A request...
December 21, 2010 11:29
I'll pass that along. Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 9 on April 06, 2011
Record Number of Guests: 98 on December 05, 2012